This is such a good and easy veggie ramen. You just need to plan ahead a little with the broth. Give this rich and flavorful recipe a try. We were blown away at how good the broth got in this recipe.
The OG recipe is here
FOR THE BROTH:
- 8 cups good low-sodium vegetable broth (this is my favorite by far)
- 1 ounce dried shiitakes (15-20 mushrooms)
- ¼ cup soy sauce * If using a Tare base in the finished bowl you may want to go lighter here
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp msg (optional)
- 1/6 tsp i+g salt (optional)
For the Broth (Make ahead of time for a super easy night meal):
- Combine the vegetable broth and dried shiitakes in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Let mushrooms steep for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- In a large frying pan, heat one tablespoon of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, two minutes more.
- Remove mushrooms from pot and roughly chop, removing and discarding stems. Add mushrooms to a blender with the fried onion, ginger, garlic and one cup of the broth and puree until perfectly smooth seriously, no chunks allowed. Add this mixture back to the stock pot along with the soy sauce and the two optional ingredients. The broth can sit at this stage until shortly before serving, up to a few days in the fridge if you like. (Freezes well)
Suggestions For the bowls:
Tare – This is a staple in Ramen places. It is a base sauce that goes down in the bowl before the broth goes in. It really can add and develop more flavor. Here is one we used, but there are countless others you can try:
Spicy Miso Tare:
Mix in a bowl:
1/2 cup miso paste
1/4 cup doubanjiang (fermented bean paste)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons mirin
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Place 2 tablespoons of mixture into each ramen bowl.
Soft/hard boiled eggs
Pad of butter