This recipe was a great one we took to my Brother’s house. It was a fun day and the food was oh so tasty.
OG RECIPE HERE
For Souvlaki Marinade
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp each Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
For the Chicken:
- 2 ½ lb organic boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- Prepare the marinade. In the bowl of a small food processor, add garlic, oregano, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, olive oil, white wine, and lemon juice (do NOT add the dried bay leaves yet). Pulse until well combined.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add bay leaves. Top with marinade. Toss to combine, making sure chicken is well-coated with marinade. cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (see note for quicker marinating option.) THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED THE RECIPE
- Soak 10 to 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 to 45 minutes or so. Prepare Tzatziki sauce and other fixings, and if you’re adding Greek salad or other sides, prepare those as well. (some sides like roasted garlic hummus may take longer, you can prepare those in advance).
- When ready, thread marinated chicken pieces through the prepared skewers.
- Prepare outdoor grill (or griddle). Brush grates with a little oil and heat over medium-high heat. t. Place chicken skewers on grill (or cook in batches on griddle) until well browned and internal temperature registers 155° on instant read thermometer. Be sure to turn skewers evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes total. (Adjust temperature of grill if necessary). While grilling, brush lightly with the marinade (then discard any left marinade).
- Transfer chicken to serving platter and let rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, briefly grill pitas and keep warm.
- Assemble grilled chicken souvlaki pitas. First, spread Tzatziki sauce on pita, add chicken pieces (take them off skewers first, of course) then add veggies and olives.
- Optional: if you want more items to add to your buffet, consider Greek salad, watermelon salad, roasted garlic hummus, or a big Mezze platter
- Cook’s Tip: I used my Russian Grill. It was epic.