This one is great! Give it a try.
Original Recipe Here
Minimalist Baker Recipe: Great site with many other recipes to try
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
2 large cloves garlic, minced (2 cloves yield ~1 heaping Tbsp)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 Tbsp rice vinegar (or sub white vinegar)
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp water
1 Block extra-firm tofu Pressed (see The Basics)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
— 2ND STEP —
4-5 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp neutral oil (such as peanut, vegetable or avocado)
FOR STIR FRY
1 Tbsp sesame oil
3 stalks green onions, roughly chopped 1-inch
1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce /
Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- If serving with rice and broccoli, begin preparing at this time (see The Basics).
- Prep/chop green onions, garlic, and ginger at this time. Set aside.
- While tofu is pressing, prepare stir-fry sauce by combining sesame oil, cornstarch, minced garlic, minced ginger, rice vinegar, maple syrup, tamari or soy sauce, and water in a small mixing bowl and whisk.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (mine is 12”) over medium heat. In the meantime, cut tofu into even pieces. Mine are the height of the tofu and ¾ inch width.
- Add tofu to a shallow mixing bowl and top with 1st step for tofu Toss to combine. Let rest 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer tofu to a quart-size or large freezer bag (or tupperware container), leaving the remaining marinade behind. Add cornstarch 1 Tbsp at a time and toss to coat. Continue adding more cornstarch and tossing until tofu is coated in a gummy, white layer – about 4-5 Tbsp
- To the hot skillet, add 4 Tbsp neutral oil and let warm for 30 seconds. Then add tofu to the pan (leaving any excess cornstarch behind).
- Cook tofu on top and bottom sides for ~1 minute, or until light golden brown. Aim for a consistent golden brown crust. Remove tofu from pan as it’s finished browning. Set aside.
START STIR FRY
- Return skillet to burner and increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 Tbsp sesame oil, and chopped green onions. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sauce and tofu. Cook, stirring frequently, to coat the tofu and vegetables for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and add sesame seeds (optional). Toss to coat.
- Serve with rice and steamed broccoli (optional), or other desired sides. Best when fresh, though leftovers keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop.