This recipe comes from a book that I love, but I don’t own yet. It is called Chinese Homestyle you can find a link here
1 English Cucumber (11 ounces or 300 g), partially peeled.
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 tablespoon Chinking vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons Chili Oil (page 29),
or to taste, for serving (optional)
- Here Dry the cucumber with paper towels. Place it on a large cutting board and carefully use the flat side of a knife or cleaver to crush it; a meat pounder will work as well. Cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces and place the pieces in a medium bowl.
- Add the garlic to the cucumber.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and sesame oil for the sauce and mix well.
- Right before serving, pour the sauce over the cucumber and garlic and mix well. (Do not add the sauce beforehand; it will cause the cucumber to lose water and dilute the sauce.)
- Drizzle with the chili oil (if using) and serve.