This recipe was a great! It came together pretty quick and was super delicious.
For the tofu
- 400 g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or flour if you don’t have
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp tamari/ soy sauce
Spicy Sticky Sauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic/1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 inch cubed of fresh ginger/1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tamari/ soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour or flour if you don’t have + 1 tsp water mixed
To Serve for the buddha bowl
- 250 g broccoli
- 2 spring onions
- Toasted sesame seeds to sprinkle
- 100 g sauerkraut
- 1 avocado
- First step press the tofu to squeeze out a little water as this will make it easier to fry. Chop the tofu into small cubes approx 1.5cm. Finely dice the garlic clove and the ginger if using fresh garlic and ginger.
- In a bowl mix together the tofu, cornstarch (or flour), garlic powder, and black pepper and mix well.
- Heat a wide bottomed non stick pan on high heat, add 1 tbsp of oil
- Once hot add in the tofu and fry on each side until it starts to char and sear on each side. This should take approx 5-6 mins.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix together the ingredients for the spicy sticky sauce ensuring that there are no lumps and it’s all well incorporated. A fork works great if you don’t have a small whisk.
- Back to the cooking tofu, once it is seared or lightly brown all over add the 2 tbsp of tamari/ soy sauce and mix well so that each piece absorbs some tamari.
- Pour in the sticky sauce on top of the tofu and mix well, cook for 1-2 mins until it’s nice and sticky. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the broccoli into bite size florets and par boil in salted water. Drain and cook on a griddle pan or hot frying pan until they start to char slightly. Remove and set aside
- Serve with some charred broccoli and toasted sesame seeds, some sliced avocado, kim chi and the sticky tofu and rice or grain of choice- it makes a wonderful dinner, lunch or even breakfast!