3/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
6 cloves of garlic
4 teaspoons of white sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teasspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3 pieces.
6 Italian-style hoogie buns.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, garlic, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a blender. Puree until liquefied, about 30 seconds.
- Place chicken thighs in a large resealable plastic bag, pour in marinade and massage to coat. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove chicken and place on the skewers. Season with salt. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Place skewers on the preheated grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turn and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 6 more minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove from grill and rest the meat for a few minutes.
- Toast hoagie rolls and spread each with some of the reserved marinade. Place a skewer on each roll and carefully remove the skewer, leaving the chicken in the bun.