If you’re searching for a perfect coconut cream pie recipe, end your search with this one!
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
- Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Make the following changes: I used 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (makes all the difference) and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I didn’t have half-n-half). Also, eliminated the flour and used 1/3 cup corn starch. I turned up the heat on the stove between low and medium, and only took about 20 minutes or so to thicken. I did not toast the coconut that went inside the pie, but did toast the coconut on top. Also, made homemade whipped cream (carton whipping cream, 2 tbls. confectioners sugar, 1 teas. vanilla). Very nice texture. Firmness is just right.